Saturday, January 14, 2012

Praying for others

I was just reading a page from my devotional and it was about Genesis 19:29 ("But God had listened to Abraham's request and kept Lot safe, removing him from the disaster that engulfed the cities on the plain"), and the power of prayer for others. When I read this I thought about my grandma. Every time I see her, and every time we talk on the phone, before leaving she tells me how much she loves me and that she prays for me every single night. And I know that she does. I love her beyond words and it has brought me to tears at times when she tells me this. If I am struggling with anything, whether it's a difficult decision or even something small happening in my life, she will be praying about it, every day. When she tells me this I just think (and this is why it brings me to tears) about all of the blessings in my life and then I wonder how many of these blessing are all because of my Grandma's prayers? How amazing is that? And honestly, I truly do feel that many blessings in my life have nothing to do with me, but have resulted because of prayers from others. And now when I pray for others, I know God is listening and performing miracles and pouring blessings into other people's lives because of my love and desires for them (just like Abraham and Lot's case). It's mind-blowing to realize how much influence and power there is by speaking with God and making our requests known through prayer.

"do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."-Philippians 4:6.

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment